Inside Housing

Service 1

fireInside housing reveals;

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service has warned tenants and landlords of the dangers of leaving combustible materials in communal areas, after seven people had to be rescued from a blaze yesterday morning.

The residents had to be rescued from the fire in a common area of a two-storey block in Blairgowrie, Tayside, because their normal escape route had been ‘compromised’.

A 9 metre ladder was used to rescue tenants from a first-floor window.

Emergency services were called out to Coralbank Crescent at 3.15 am on Tuesday. The fire service, police and ambulance crews attended the scene.

Four flats were affected by heavy smoke and, because of the severity of the fire, residents had to be provided with emergency accommodation.1

Graham Smart, group manager of the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service, said: ‘This incident highlights the dangers associated with leaving combustible materials in common closes. If items are left near doors, then escape routes can be blocked,

‘On this occasion we had to help residents out using a ladder, as their normal escape route had been compromised.

‘There is no doubt the fire escalated due to the fact that combustible materials had been stored in the close. This practice is something Scottish Fire and Rescue Service actively discourages.”

He added: ‘This fire had the potential to be even more serious given the amount of combustible material in the close.’

This incident highlights the dangers associated with leaving combustible materials in common closes – Graham Smart, group manager of the Scottish Fire and Rescue Servicev

Categories

  • Blog
  • News